Monday, May 28, 2012

SMS the RPG: A Tale of Two Acronyms

It turns out that there's a way to contact a phone's text messaging system using a tool called an SMS gateway. Essentially, it's a backdoor way to send and receive messages from a phone through an email address. It's pretty neat in its own right, and it's spurred another little side project for me that hopefully you'll all get to hear about in the coming weeks.

I've always been really impressed by really well-done text adventures, and I'd kind of like to see one see a little limelight by adapting to modern technology. In my mind, using SMS gateways, this becomes possible. All of our applications which can contact email addresses, a relatively straightforward process, can suddenly also contact phones. This opens the way for programs and phones to talk to each other remotely. Imagine: we could have a text adventure played from your phone, smartphone or not. I'm still feeling around the specifics there, but I think that's a really cool idea, and a way to breathe life into a genre that's sadly receded from the public view.

I'm also thinking of adding it to the Knights of the Broken Table project, but that's a ways down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment